No. 6 has been in the ownership of the MacLean family since the early 1930s. The current owner's grandfather, William MacLean, received the land as a settlement for fighting in WW1.
William built the house himself with help from friends. He was not a builder but he learned the skills necessary and also built a stone stable for the horses. Most of that stable is still standing and some of the fallen stone has been re-used to construct the new dry stone wall at the front of the house. It gives us immense pleasure to know that the stones we have re-used have been handled by William MacLean all these years ago and it is a lovely family link with the past.
The house was extended as the family dynamic changed and has undergone several changes over the years.
The house is a croft house and sits on lands which are still used for crofting purposes with cows and sheep being grazed and the arable land used for growing crops for winter feed.
William MacLean and Mary Ann MacLean (nee MacSwan) moved into their home in the 1930s. They had four children - Peggy, Donald, Iain and Mary.
William died in 1953, aged 67. Whilst the rest of the family moved to their own homes, Iain remained at No. 6 with his mother and when he married Norah MacNeill in 1958, she moved into the home with him and his mother. Iain was a crofter and his whole life revolved around the rearing of the animals and keeping the croft running to provide for his family.
Willie and John were born in 1961 and this meant that 3 generations were then all living in No. 6.
Mary Ann MacLean died in 1976 aged 84 years and Iain, Norah, Willie and John remained in the house until 1995 when the boys both got married and built houses on either side of No. 6 where they still live today with their families.
Iain died in 2012 aged 84 and Norah died in 2019 aged 81.
John and Lesley MacLean are the current custodians of the property and have lovingly renovated No. 6 to ensure that it is preserved for the next generation of MacLeans.